Survival & Freedom #2: Blockchain

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Bob
Board Founder

Survival & Freedom #2: Blockchain

Post by Bob »

I would venture to say the crowd here is pretty conservative fiscally speaking. Your "reserve" finances of choice are probably Gold & Silver.

But it is 2021, and the reality of the future is going to be Blockchain. (Yeah - that "Crypto" thing). If you do not know or understand Blockchain technology, you are going to fear it, and become a victim of it. Just like .Gov and big industry demonstrated the 1984/Orwell version of how they could find you / shut you down, they are going to do that with your money. If you don't think the big banks aren't trying to do away with cash...well, when its gone then you'll believe it. And the way they will do it / sell it is with Blockchain.
- They will say it is secure
- They will say it is safe
- They will say it is private

And it CAN be all of those things. But it can also be a way to completely track and control/intercept you money. What way do you think that will go when big banks and .Gov get involved?

I'll discuss Crypto currency later, but Blockchain - you need to understand just like your parents would have probably been better off if they understood those newfangled computer things that we all use...

Here is a great series for those that think Bitcoin is just drug, sex , and assassination funny money. Don't worry if it is Bitcoin, etherium, Dash or whatever. Understand how a blockchain works. Just like VPN is important to privacy.

Bob
Board Founder

Re: Survival & Freedom #2: Blockchain

Post by Bob »

By the way - whole series of Dash Academy. Watch them all...
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Reply to Bob:
1. I anticipate part of that in my approach to paying bills. Many times over the years, my banks have screwed up software, locked me out. Stores have had problems with their transmittal of credit card charges. I anticipate this by pre-paying bills, not just waiting to the last minute like most people. In this manner, when things are screwed up, they usually resolve themselves within a week. And, I don't sweat.
2. It entirely possible that my IRA and Roth accounts may be seized by government with a promise that it will do the required annual distribution, but they will have the ownership of the money. Just like the law was changed and social security reserves were taken legally many years ago and the social fund received paper bonds from the US treasury (which are now being slowly cashed by social security).
3. Incidentally, one of my banks keeps changing its working hours and one time I simply drove by because there was a line of 20 people outside. The amount that can be withdrawn is subject to legal limitation. The bank also has a limited amount of currency on hand.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Bob: Immediately after posting, I tried to go on line to USAA.
Could not do it. USAA changed its software again. After the usual 15 minutes, I got through to technical support. The problem was Google could not access USAA. So, I shifted to a different browser. This is why I am always checking for fraud and if I access a credit card account with a balance, I pay it immediately. Some day, high tech will be even more screwed up.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I have to say BD - I am a fan of CU's over banks....

Financial Situational awareness is always a good thing.

*Disclaimer: Works for the largest CU Payment system company in the country.
Bank = Evil
CU = Good to Not Evil Yet

Bank Tech = Best out there, because we want to steal your money as fast an easily as possible
CU = Our customers are old people, so tech isn't critical, but we don't understand why Millennials don't use CU's...
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've been a CU member for 50 years. Other than that I'm completely lost in this thread. :mrgreen: