battery checking

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
bdcochran

Re: battery checking

Post by bdcochran »

I have resisted going to the 14500 battery for reasons which may eventually turn out to be invalid, and which you can correct immediately for me, if not all:

1. some aa flashlights would overheat. If I were assured that the Sipik sk68 would not overheat, it would be a reason to go to 14500. The standard AA battery in that unit is rated for only 2 hours as well. I would use a rechargeable 14500 with a shorter span. I haven't tried a rechargeable AA in the Sipik. Probably should/would. My experience is that the quality AA rechargeables don't corrode. Then I could leave a battery within the flashlight in the car.

2. I have no idea whether a standard AA battery recharger would handle the 14500. Please advise.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:11 am 2. I have no idea whether a standard AA battery recharger would handle the 14500. Please advise.
The 14500 is a lithum ion battery so you will definitely need a lithium ion charger. I use a couple of different Nitecore chargers I got of Amazon. They charge both lithium ion batteries as well as Ni-MH and Ni-cd.

https://www.amazon.com/NITECORE-UMS4-In ... NrPXRydWU=
bdcochran wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:11 am 1. some aa flashlights would overheat. If I were assured that the Sipik sk68 would not overheat, it would be a reason to go to 14500.
I've used the 14500 in the Sipik and SK68 lights almost exclusively. We've done this extensively at home and also SEP gatherings. Yes, they get pretty warm but never had an issue. And several of the folks that go to the gatherings have them. The run time will be less than AA but it is significantly brighter. Say 80 lumens vs. 300 lumens.
bdcochran wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:11 am My experience is that the quality AA rechargeables don't corrode.
I've not had a rechargeable corrode at all. I keep two in the vehicle and it does get hot in Florida :D
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

1. thank you
2. I checked all of my AA and AAA battery chargers and researched them.
a. I located one charger that unequivocally says it will charge.
b. I made sure that the chargers were bagged individually and with factory manuals.
c. I had too many chargers and selected two to give to my son the next time I see him. If the airline permits, I will take a couple of blister packed rechargeable AA batteries as well. Time to get him started with rechargeables.
3. I ordered 4 top quality 14500 batteries. When they come in and are charged, I will make sure that I have two bagged units - both with initial 14500 charged batteries and with a 4 pack of standard AA batteries as back up. This will get two people through one night of nearly continual usage.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Happy to help. :)

Those 14500 batteries will really let you get the most out of a Sipik or Sipik-clone (SK68). We've gone on many a night hike with those little suckers!
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".