Sipik (SK68)

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
bdcochran

Re: Sipik (SK68)

Post by bdcochran »

The average person is my girlfriend. She came over with the partial 4 packs of AA and AAA batteries that I had given her. She doesn't know how to check batteries, so giving her battery checkers would be useless. I check the batteries. Sometimes a device is corroded out. Sometimes a battery is expired. Takes just a couple of minutes.

To load her up with rechargeable batteries would be useless.

One of these days, I will fly back to visit my son. Unfortunately, the airline charges $30 for a checked bag. I think what I will do is simple. 1. take about 4 empty Sipik sk68s, 6 empty PRC 4 plastic packs. Then he will have two flashlights for the car and one for each warehouse. Buy the batteries there. See if I have a battery tester here for him .
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I was done to my last "gift" one. The Sipiks were more expensive by a couple of bucks. So, I made sure that the knockoffs had crees in them and the pricing was less than $5 each delivered. I warn everyone that the PRC is cracking down on international trade in a haphazard manner. So, use paypal and you have a chance of getting your money back if things go sour. I ordered another 5 one mode units modeled on the Sipik sk68.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

My wife just bought 5 SK68s for $15 off of amazon. Unfortunately they are the knock off ones. Not near as bright as my originals at least with AAs. We'll keep them anyway as stash away lights simply because they are handy.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

MAC66: Can the replacement ones take the rechargeable 14500 battery. It should be brighter. In a related regard, this week an aaaa timer failed. I had no aaaa batteries on hand. However, I have a top recharger that can handle aaaa, 14500, aa and aaa batteries, so I ordered some aaaa batteries. If the 5 sk 68s coming have less power, I will possibly substitute a replacement 14500 battery.

14500 Batteries [AA Lithium] | Battery Junction
14500 batteries use lithium-ion chemistry and have a 3.6/3.7V nominal voltage, and are rechargeable. Due to their higher voltage, they are not always a suitable replacement for AAs. Check your device's user manual for battery compatibility.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:43 pm My wife just bought 5 SK68s for $15 off of amazon. Unfortunately they are the knock off ones. Not near as bright as my originals at least with AAs. We'll keep them anyway as stash away lights simply because they are handy.
IIRC, and this is a ballpark, AA in the SK68 is about 80 lumens and the 14500 supposedly gets up to 300 lumens. The knock-offs may get less and/or have a different tint. The truth is that the Sipik was a knock-off of another brand that was crazy expensive. Then the SK68's came along and became a knock-off of the knock-off.

Regardless, it will be brighter using a rechargeable 14500 battery. A noticeable difference.
bdcochran wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:13 pm 14500 batteries use lithium-ion chemistry and have a 3.6/3.7V nominal voltage, and are rechargeable. Due to their higher voltage, they are not always a suitable replacement for AAs. Check your device's user manual for battery compatibility.
That's a fact. Same with any lithium ion battery like a 10440 (AAA) or 16350 (CR123). Put them in a light that isn't rated for lithium ion batteries and it's going to burn out your light in short order.

AA is 1.2 - 1.5 so you can see where a 3.6 is going to cause problems if not properly rated. But WOW the lithium ion batteries simply make a huge difference in overall brightness.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Sipik sk68 and what I am doing now.

1. we have flashlight experts in this forum. however, the level of most people about flashlights it is close to zero beyond finding an on-off switch. try to remember that.

2. I just upgraded the girl friend in her knowledge. She is very typical. The flashlight doesn't work. You could hand her a battery tester (as I have done) and she would be lost.

3. I replaced a Sipik sk68 and gave her a set of fully charged AA batteries. She was told that we no longer use alkaline batteries because these batteries would not corrode. When the flashlight stops working, take out the battery and save it and give it to me, and just put in another battery. She understood that. Conversely, she is a whiz at using a cellphone and I am still on the learning curve.

4. one of the girl friend's sons lives remotely (like if the power goes off, his area will be the last one to have power restored). He has an upstairs and downstairs.
he is receiving two bagged setups for Christmas:
1 Sipik sk68
2 8 fully charged rechargeable AA batteries in protective plastic case
1 manual
1 dual AA/AAA recharger unit
The son does construction work so he will be functioning right out of the box with the gifts. I expect that he will pick up rechargeable AAA batteries for things like tv controllers.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

bdcochran wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:50 am 1. we have flashlight experts in this forum. however, the level of most people about flashlights it is close to zero beyond finding an on-off switch. try to remember that.
Unfortunately that is true. Many/most folks don't think about a flashlight beyond the one on their cell phone. And that's fine in a pinch but to me it's a back up to a back up.

I prefer to have at least one, if not several flashlights either on my person or readily available. Some may consider that overkill but I've been in situations where my light has failed for one reason or another and my back up light came to the rescue. And I've come to appreciate the low-low (moonlight) mode even more than the turbo mode.

Still like the SK68 after all these years. An incredibly nice light for a buck or two. And I really like the ability to be able to use either an AA or a 14500 battery. And inexpensive enough to have several in a drawer. If it gets broke/lost you simply get another one out of the drawer and no tears spilled.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

Flashlights. Batteries are Energizer or Duracell.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:23 pm Flashlights. Batteries are Energizer or Duracell.
I use the standard alkalines for back ups but have really taken to Eneloop batteries in AA and AAA. They do a great job of holding a charge, have a substantial mAh and are very cost effective. I don't know if Costco still has them but that's where I got my supply.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

MAy have to look into these for my main lights