Smallest caliber you'd feel comfortable carrying?

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Smallest caliber you'd feel comfortable carrying?

Post by David »

Interesting thread on GT about derringers. Does anyone have one? Ever carry one? I can't recall ever owing or shooting one but always thought they were cool since I was a kid watching The Wild Wild West.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Well, I sold my little pink LCP. Although I still occasionally carried it I found myself carrying the LCP II more. The LCP II was also more comfortable to shoot than the LCP and the extended mag gave me an extra round. So as much as I liked my little pink pistol it found a new home. I made a nice profit on it since I only bought it for $150 and sold it for $320 (even with the added laser and Hogue grip). I put that money towards the TX22. Worked out nicely.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

David wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 pm Interesting thread on GT about derringers. Does anyone have one? Ever carry one? I can't recall ever owing or shooting one but always thought they were cool since I was a kid watching The Wild Wild West.

Back when I had my FFL I played around with derringers. Ordered and sold a few Davis Derringers in various calibers but they were pretty much junk. Inaccurate, unreliable junk.

I also had a Hi Standard 22 mag derringer. it was reliable and was pretty neat but the short barrel didn't stabilize the 22 mag and most ammo keyholed out of it. The same thing happened with the NA mini single action revolver which was pretty much a 4 shot 22 mag derringer. Keyholing was the rule rather than the exception. I eventually sold both of them.

I don't know of any good derringers made these days that aren't about the same size/weight as a mini 380/32 or pocket 9mm. I'd take a Keltec P32/P3AT or Ruger LCP over any derringer.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Mac66 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:56 pm I don't know of any good derringers made these days that aren't about the same size/weight as a mini 380/32 or pocket 9mm. I'd take a Keltec P32/P3AT or Ruger LCP over any derringer.
I'd have to agree. Although the 'idea' of a derringer is neat (probably stemming back to being a kid watch the Wild Wild West like the video I posted above) I just don't see them as being particularly practical. IIRC, my brother has one in 38 Special. I'll have to ask him if he still has it. But yeah, I'd rather have my LCP II than a derringer. 7+1 rounds is better than 2 rounds. And I can shoot that LCP II accurately at some respectable distance if slow shooting. At typical distances you'd probably use the pistol it should/would be easy to put them all COM quickly.

Yesterday I had to repair three broken sprinklers. Tossed the LCP II in the pocket and forgot about it. Had to go to Lowes for some parts. Thought about just carrying it up there with me but at the last moment decided to change it out for the P365XL. Got home, took that off and the LCP II went back in the pocket.

I do kinda miss the little pink LCP but really the LCP II is just a bit better all the way around.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Just sold my LCP 2. I was pleasantly surprised my P365 was so comfortable to pocket carry, and so is the XL. Not as comfortable as the LCP of course, but doable.

Haven't made my mind up on the LCP Max. I like the front night sight and extra capacity.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

I posted about this last year, forgot I had one till the other day. Haven’t used it that much but pretty simple piece of gear.

https://garrisongrip.com/micro-trigger-stop-holster/

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:55 pm Haven't made my mind up on the LCP Max. I like the front night sight and extra capacity.
As I posted elsewhere, I did go ahead and buy the Max. I've been very impressed with it. The sights are night and day better than the milled in nubs of the earlier gens of LCP. The front night sight is very bright. Recoil is still stout but definitely much better than the early gens.

Capacity of course is outstanding compared to it's predecessors. I've been carrying with the 12-rnd mag and literally forget I've got it in my pocket which is the whole point. Ruger knocked it out of the park and likely has opened up a new high-capacity micro-380 market. I'd be surprised if S&W and Taurus don't follow suit with the 380BG and TCP getting a makeover.

Bogart

Post by Bogart »

David wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:52 pm Interesting thread on GT about derringers. Does anyone have one? Ever carry one? I can't recall ever owing or shooting one but always thought they were cool since I was a kid watching The Wild Wild West.

I recently got a Bond Arms 9mm, I think it is barely adequate with only 2 shots but will do the job. Good for places that don't like you to have one. Quite a kick and after 6 rounds I have had enough for the day.

Regards
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bogart wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:54 pm

I recently got a Bond Arms 9mm, I think it is barely adequate with only 2 shots but will do the job. Good for places that don't like you to have one. Quite a kick and after 6 rounds I have had enough for the day.

Regards
I can imagine it would have some kick to it. To what distance would you feel comfortable/confident?

Bogart

Post by Bogart »

I tried 5 yards silhouette target. One barrel hit dead center, the other about a foot higher. I was aiming, strong hand only. I consider that acceptable for what it is.