Weapon Mounted Lights (WML)

Flashlights, lanterns, torches and anything that sheds a little light for your path.
David
Administrator

Re: Weapon Mounted Lights (WML)

Post by David »

Saw this video and thought I’d pop it into this thread.

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Some beam shots I took tonight out at the property with the P365XL w/TLR-6.

I was standing to the right of a 25 foot wide space between houses. The black tarp in the distance is about 100 feet away, perhaps just a tad more. The end of the house is about 77 feet distance from where I was standing. This was about 9:15 tonight and it was very dark without the WML activated. Dark enough that you would not have seen someone towards the back of the house.

This is standing just in front of where my front doors are going to be. The back of the lanai is about 75+ feet away. Again, the black tarp beyond is a tad over 100 feet away. I would have easily seen someone clearly standing on the lanai. So that would be a 25 yard shot to the lanai and perhaps a 35 yard shot to the end of the backyard give or take a foot or so. In person it is clearer as this was taken on a cell phone. I would have easily been able to identify a man sized target in the backyard.

One of the hallways in the house. Distance to the back wall is about 33 feet give or take a foot.

For only being 100 lumens, I feel the TLR-6 is more than sufficient for most likely scenarios. I feel I'd have no issue identifying a target out to 35 yards. With the XL I know I would have no issue hitting a target at this distance. I've done so in matches with the shorter barreled P365 in dim light conditions. So while a brighter light would be nice and could have it's uses, I think the TLR-6 is a good light for it's size, run time and lumen output. Although I'm sure it could happen, it's hard to imagine a SD scenario where one would need to take a shot at a distance longer than this light is capable of reaching. It's also worth noting that I could easily and clearly see the night sights with the TLR-6 activated.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

One of the things I've realized in the last week (after breaking my wrist) is another consideration in favor of a WML on my EDC. Specifically, right now I could not hold my P365 in my dominate hand and hold a flashlight in my support hand. Not only does the hard splint limit the mobility in my support hand, the injury has drastically limited my hand strength. I physically could not hold a light much less use one tactically. So having a WML on the EDC allows me to utilize both one-handed, which is my only option right now.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Some considerations.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

David wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:21 pm One of the things I've realized in the last week (after breaking my wrist) is another consideration in favor of a WML on my EDC. Specifically, right now I could not hold my P365 in my dominate hand and hold a flashlight in my support hand. Not only does the hard splint limit the mobility in my support hand, the injury has drastically limited my hand strength. I physically could not hold a light much less use one tactically. So having a WML on the EDC allows me to utilize both one-handed, which is my only option right now.
I like using my TLR as a flashlight, because of the handle on it with 15 rounds inside. Used it the other night when something went bump. The flashlight, that is.
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I've changed some things around with WMLs recently too. My bedside G17 went from a Valkyrie Pro to a Modlite PL350. The Pro went to my TX22comp.
My SBR got an Odin mini and the tan Odin moved to my 16" rif!e.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

My USP has a TLR-HL
My Mossberg has a Surefire G2 LED (Went for sturdy there...)
My AK has a Streamlight Protac rail mount for rifles
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz

Post by Strayz »

So what is everyone's choice for rifles/shotguns?
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:04 pm So what is everyone's choice for rifles/shotguns?
I actually mounted the Convoy S2+ on my shotguns (when I had them). Takes an 1850 battery and about 500 lumens. Simple rear clicky but they worked well.