Coronavirus

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Bmyers »

So Bob, based on your numbers and doing the math across the US, Your numbers make COVID the 6th or 7th leading cause of death in US.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Most of the state was just closed down again. Will be no kids going to school this fall.

This means immediately that a renewed measure of now modified panic buying has set in within a couple of days.

Fortunately, I had figured that when the restrictions were first lifted, people would stop panic buying and start saving to go to Disneyland. This is exactly what happened. Within a few days of the lifting of some restrictions, the stores were packed with formerly scarce goods. So, I replenished what I had used up over 6 months. When the announcement came of a new shut down, I went to Costco the same day and beat the rush that started the next morning.

Today I went to Costco to have the tires rotated and balanced. Paper goods? No paper towels. No store brand paper goods. A few packs of toilet paper left.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Will this virus actually be a good thing?

I don't like the politics around it, I don't like that some have died from it, I don't like that it is disrupting my routine.

Yet, few of the things that I can see this virus has done for the good:

1) It has caused some of our friends to become gun owners and learn to use the firearms
2) It has caused some of our friends to plant gardens and learning to garden
3) It has changed the way my work looks at the workplace; we have jumped into technology and starting to become more flexible and able to respond verses the typical 'have to be in the office' mindset.
4) It has caused me to spend more time with the family
5) It has caused me to tackle some small repair jobs that normally I would of paid someone else to do

So, in many ways, the outbreak has actually been a positive for our family and friends. Sadly, we have had a family friend die and we have had five people that we know been sick with the virus. Three of the five were what would be classified as 'moderately' sick. Basically they had a very nasty flu for about two weeks. The other two basically had colds. The one person that died was high risk (over 60 with underlining medical conditions), but it still hurts seeing a family friend pass.

Just some thoughts on this bug.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:01 am Will this virus actually be a good thing?

Yet, few of the things that I can see this virus has done for the good:

1) It has caused some of our friends to become gun owners and learn to use the firearms
I agree. Just in the last few months I've had multiple friends/family call me asking about firearms. Folks that prior to recent events either showed no interest at all or had interest but never went through with a purchase and training. Seeing the amount of firearms and ammo being sold the last several months it is easy to see this is widespread.
Bmyers wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:01 am I don't like the politics around it
I firmly believed that this was a 'plandemic'. That is was suppose to be worse than it is and that the 'white hats' did something to neuter the virus. So that yes, it's real but it's not the bubonic plague. It is very evident that there are entities out there, call them the deep state and the MSM, that wanted worse. They wanted panic. They wanted increased control. Why else would the MSM be trying their very best to induce fear every single broadcast with fake news and false numbers? The virus wasn't as deadly as expected so they are continually ginning up the numbers. That isn't conspiracy theory, that's exposed fact. Reports from all over the country, from doctors and others that the numbers of cases are being cooked to make it look worse than it is when in truth it's about like the flu.

But I agree that it sucks that many people have died as a result. I think that certain Governors are going to be arrested over things like the nursing home scandals. That was basically straight up murder. But a lot of this is being exposed which is a good thing. For those that may follow 'Q' he/they have said for a very long time that sometimes the people can't be told...they have to be shown. They have to see for themselves. They have to be pushed to the point of forcing change.

So yes, those are all positives that are coming out, and will continue to come out of this situation.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

No mayors will be charged, let alone arrested

And the State has already got an epic win in control from this

But looking to be positive about n TJ fav of problems/trouble is one of the best ways to adapt and expand resilient. I am on a nnew knee of music forums, and he fear and general patheticness is unbelievable.

I definitely feel better about my preparedness than I ever did before. The early unknown really made me evaluate things.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Bob wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:26 pm
I definitely feel better about my preparedness than I ever did before. The early unknown really made me evaluate things.
I will have to agree with you, we are better prepared now than we were last year at this time. This outbreak has helped us to understand how things may or may not function and allowed us to adjust more preps.

For example, we have always had paper goods on our supply list, but not to the level to make it three months. I can tell you that has changed.

The outbreak also gave us the kick in the butt to expand the garden and try different plants we hadn't grown. We are learning and getting better prepared, plus getting to enjoy some good food. Last weekend, the wife made her first homemade apple pie from scratch with apples we picked from the trees at the farm.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bmyers wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:43 am
Bob wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:26 pm
I will have to agree with you, we are better prepared now than we were last year at this time. This outbreak has helped us to understand how things may or may not function and allowed us to adjust more preps.

For example, we have always had paper goods on our supply list, but not to the level to make it three months. I can tell you that has changed.

The outbreak also gave us the kick in the butt to expand the garden and try different plants we hadn't grown. We are learning and getting better prepared, plus getting to enjoy some good food. Last weekend, the wife made her first homemade apple pie from scratch with apples we picked from the trees at the farm.
Agree completely with you guys. It has been an excellent test run so-to-speak. It has been interesting to see the items that have been bought up first, the level of panic/somberness while out shopping and the vast increase in firearm and ammo purchases this year.

Toilet paper for the win :D
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".