Your choice(s) for SHTF weapons

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Re: Your choice(s) for SHTF weapons

Post by David »

David wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:44 am I know I can shoot the G26 every bit as well as a compact or full size. The more I think about it though, going with a 40 S&W model and then adding a 9mm conversion barrel makes a lot of sense. My 19X is fine as-is since it has a dedicated role of night stand pistol. But for overall inventory it's nice to have several pistols that are multi-caliber. Even 357sig just to have. I don't think I'd go out of my way to get an extra 357sig conversion barrel but a couple of my pistols came with the extra barrel so at least it's an option. No where near as practical, from a prepping perspective, as a 9mm barrel but hey, didn't cost me anything so it's there.

I wouldn't mind picking up either a USPc in 40 or a P2000sk in 40.
Since that last post I did pick up a complete upper for the USPc in 40 S&W. So for SHTF weapons I am really seeing the benefit in a 3-in-1 platform. So far I have three 2-in-1 platforms (one Glock and two HK) so eventually I may pick up whatever extra conversion barrel needed to make them true 3-in-1 platforms. That will be the fun of the challenge to pick up what is needed at a good price (which isn't right now).

Of the three, the Glock would probably be the overall smart choice if I had to pick one. Simply due to it being the highest capacity of the current three choices and availability of parts. Plus picking up a 357sig barrel for it would be less expensive than picking up either a 9mm barrel for the HK P2000 or 357sig barrel for the HK USPc. And mags are less expensive as well on the Glock. So the Glock 22.4 with both 9mm and 357sig conversion barrels would be my first and foremost sidearm choice for a SHTF weapon.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Bogart

Post by Bogart »

Ok that's a funny video.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bogart wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:15 am Ok that's a funny video.
Lot of folks don't like YM, but some of the stuff he comes out with is hilarious. Here's one of my favorites...

David
Administrator

Post by David »

David wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 12:35 pm Since that last post I did pick up a complete upper for the USPc in 40 S&W. So for SHTF weapons I am really seeing the benefit in a 3-in-1 platform. So far I have three 2-in-1 platforms (one Glock and two HK) so eventually I may pick up whatever extra conversion barrel needed to make them true 3-in-1 platforms. That will be the fun of the challenge to pick up what is needed at a good price (which isn't right now).

Of the three, the Glock would probably be the overall smart choice if I had to pick one. Simply due to it being the highest capacity of the current three choices and availability of parts. Plus picking up a 357sig barrel for it would be less expensive than picking up either a 9mm barrel for the HK P2000 or 357sig barrel for the HK USPc. And mags are less expensive as well on the Glock. So the Glock 22.4 with both 9mm and 357sig conversion barrels would be my first and foremost sidearm choice for a SHTF weapon.
Since the last post in this thread I did pick up a 357sig barrel for the USPc. This makes it a tougher choice between the G22.4 with 40S&W and 9mm conversion barrel and the HK with 40S&W, 357sig and 9mm (slide and barrel). I do prefer the HK over the Glock as a platform. However, for this SHTF scenario I still think the Glock is the better choice. First, it's more popular overall than the HK in terms of units out in the wild. That would make parts and mags easier to find. And even though the HK has the additional barrel, it's likely that the 357sig isn't prevalent enough to worry about picking up along the way to make it override the parts/mag availability of the Glock. And it will have 3 additional rounds in 40S&W or 4 additional in the 9mm configuration. That's fairly substantial.

And it still makes it compatible with the PCC option I've chosen.

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Saw this video as I was looking around YT.

Had to laugh that YT had an issue with swapping barrels. But it reinforces my thoughts that the G22 is an excellent platform for general use as well as SHTF situations. As long as I have the 9mm conversion barrel available in the bag it would be a good option for the rifle go-bag. Carry the G45 on person and have the G22 in the bag.

Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I turned my 23 into a 9mm. As long as I have access to a /.40 barrel....
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bob wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:23 pm I turned my 23 into a 9mm. As long as I have access to a /.40 barrel....
Where did you buy the conversion barrel? What did it run you?

It was a wise move to get it as it just makes the platform that much more versatile.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I've got 9mm barrels for several of my 40 including my G22. Just makes sense.
aerynsun

Post by aerynsun »

David wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:42 pm
Bogart wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:15 am Ok that's a funny video.
Lot of folks don't like YM, but some of the stuff he comes out with is hilarious. Here's one of my favorites...

Glock only needs to make 1 gun - Glock 26 - You can add a longer barrel or extended mag.

Maybe you could add one of their narrower single stack guns

2 guns is all you need.

Well, maybe a 23 also.