Words from a Bosnian Survivalist

A general discussion area for topics not specifically covered elsewhere on the board. NO politics. If the topic would fit it a specific section please post in that specific section.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Re: Words from a Bosnian Survivalist

Post by Bmyers »

David wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:49 pm I'm glad the article is bringing up points to consider. :)
Never hurts to take time to stop and re-evaluate to see how your life has changed and what might be new needs or items that are no longer needed.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Bmyers wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:42 am
Mac66 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:38 pm
Bmyers wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:21 am This thread got me thinking, for us that are visually impaired, having spare glasses is a must. Thankfully, the last few years my prescription has barely changed, so I know have three spare sets of glasses that I can use if the need arises.
I'd be screwed with my hearing. Wear rechargeable hearing aids which work for as long as you can recharge them. Not so good if you forget the charger or the batteries eventually wear out. My old ones had replaceable batteries so you could stock them and take them anywhere.
Can they be charged via a solar panel? I know that only helps as long as the batteries stay good and take a charge.
Yep.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Hearing aids.
1. there are rechargeable hearing aid batteries.
2. rechargeable hearing aid batteries can be recharged with certain solar panels.

However, we have idea what hearing aid or batteries you use or what solar panels you have. So, communicate with the company that made your hearing aid.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

I was asking my daughter about her hearing aids and she has batteries that she just replaces. I asked how many spare batteries she keeps on hand? She looked at me like I had a third eye, she said I just order more when i put the last ones in. I tried to explain that she needs to keep extra on hand.

"But dad, I have Amazon Prime and I can get them delivered the same day."
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

"But dad, I have Amazon Prime and I can get them delivered the same day."

My son - Dad, I don't have health insurance because I am healthy. I can always get it. (That was two months ago). Now he is complaining that he doesn't have a doctor.

My son - Dad, I can get a used car anytime.
He drives a car on business 6-7 days a week. It is a 2002 car with multiple problems. The transmission is now shot and he has been trying to repair the car for two weeks.

The difference is your daughter brushed off your suggestion and I listen to the same complaints in every phone conversation. The one just finished was 1/2 hour. :|
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

It is amazing as parents how "stupid" we are and how we know nothing, yet a short while later the little ones come back with exact problem we were trying to help them avoid.

I know from age 16-24y/o my dad went from one of the dumbest people ever on plant earth to one of the smartest men I know.

Our daughter is starting to make that transition. She decided to move out on here own and made it three months before she was back and realized unlike the tv show Friends, life is a lot hard than sitting around a coffee house sipping fancy drinks.

Now my only concern is that we may never get her back out of the house since she has realized how good she has it under her mother's wing.
tom mac
Board Founder

Post by tom mac »

Bmyers wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:38 am Now my only concern is that we may never get her back out of the house since she has realized how good she has it under her mother's wing.
LOL...
My daughter didn't leave till 27 when she got married. She was asked why by friends... stated that why leave when I have someone doing my laundry, making dinner, cleaning house !
You can't fix stupid !
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Well each of my kids is somewhat on the ball sometimes.

Oldest son doesn't own a car. Lives in Chicago. He does have a bugout bag and a plan to head to the lake front and find a boat/ride north to the west coast of Michigan where he will meet up with my middle boy.

Middle child lives in Grand Rapids and has bug out bags for him and his wife and a camper van/bug out vehicle. The plan is to hook up with his brother by Ham/GMRS radio along the west coast of Michigan (GR is about 30 miles from the coast) and head to the woods house. Those plans may change however since they just announced they are due with a baby in Oct. He does have an impressive stash of food and supplies.

His inlaws have a hobby farm about 30 miles from them. They raise chickens, ducks, goats and their own organic food. They are of kindred independent spirits so at least my son and his wife have a place to go out of the city if need be.

My daughter lives a couple miles away. Her fiance is a worthless POS so the plan is to ditch him and take her to the woods house. At least that's my plan she and her mother may have a different plan.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Never hurts to take time to stop and re-evaluate to see how your life has changed and what might be new needs or items that are no longer needed.

I am going to build on Buyers' words.

What he describes is situational awareness. 43 years ago, I moved into my house. A few weeks after moving in, I was taking a trash can to the street and I had a revelation. If a trash can was ever going to make it to the street, I was going to be the only person who took it - not the wife, not the baby, me!

It is hard to throw things out. So, I will you an easy way to do it. I set a small goal for every day.
One day, I tried on all my shoes. Whatever did not fit was donated. Didn't take long to determine which shoes did not fit.
Another day, I tried on all the work pants. If I was willing to have them altered, I had them altered. If they didn't fit they were donated.

Recently, I received a 5 figure estimate for repainting the interior of my house, not including the closets and some ceilings. I am doing it, little by little, without help. Determine what can be done within a couple of hours including prep and cleanup, then do it for those two hours.

At least six boxes of photograph albums. Each album received a sticky with a number on it and representative photos were pulled and put in a separate envelope. Took the photographs in for copying onto a cd. Made usb key backups. Sent a set to my kid. Photos went back into the albums into boxes into the attic. I have a usb key when I go into the resthome.

I have started identifying duplicates in tools and giving them away. Doesn't have to be done all at once. The second saw, the second planner, the second vise are in the pile going next.
Bmyers
Board Founder

Post by Bmyers »

Interesting, you are looking at things that you have duplicates and getting rid of them.

I'm doing the reverse and looking to see what tools that I don't have duplicates of and then having the wife watch the sale ads and marketplace to pick me up duplicate items.