Hammer-fired vs. Striker-fired

The section on firearms, knives, bows, improvised and other weaponry. Defensive tactics, self defense, martial arts. Home and personal security. Includes ballistics, modifications and maintenance.
David
Administrator

Hammer-fired vs. Striker-fired

Post by David »

Which is better, in your opinion, for self-defense? Home defense? Competition? Plinking? What do you like better and for what and why?

I like both types of platforms. Striker-fired platforms, like Glock as a prime example, are simple, durable, reliable and generally very popular (though I think it's like a stick shift vs. an automatic transmission in that a lot of people don't have experience with a stick shift/hammer-fired pistol or revolver). As a result, many that have striker-only experience have issues with revolvers or hammer-fired pistols, claiming the trigger is 'terrible/sucks' when in fact the trigger is just fine. They're use to a 5.5 lbs trigger pull rather than an 8-12 lbs trigger pull that, while heavy, is smooth. Just my personal observation.

Recently I picked up a couple of HK's. One with a LEM style trigger and the other a DA/SA. Having come from a revolver background (first duty gun was a S&W 64) it really feels good to be back into a hammer-fired pistol(s). While striker-fired is perfectly fine for SD/HD, I often think that a longer/heavier first trigger pull (in the case of a DA/SA or DAO pistol) isn't necessarily a bad thing if one considers firing under stress i.e. pulling that trigger if getting startled. I know two different Deputies who had off-duty situations where they were surprised at home and each commented that they were glad the pistol they were using had a long/heavy trigger pull. Now this is of course situational and keeping the finger off the trigger is common mantra. But there are times where you thing you're about to fire but then the situation changes as well. It happens. And that isn't to imply that a striker-fired pistol is a bad choice, just a situational observation.

I do like both. Nice to have both and have options.

Thoughts?
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Ronin.45
Board Founder

Re: Hammer-fired vs. Striker-fired

Post by Ronin.45 »

I started with DA/SA HKs. I don't have any interest in going back. If I want to shoot DA, it'll be in a revolver like God intended.
Too many advantages to the striker fired system for me. Lighter trigger, consistent trigger, much lower bore axis, simpler action with fewer pieces to wear and fail.
Much like in auto racing, competition is the proving ground for what works best. If DA/SA was better, it would be in every holster at match. Other than the occasional fanboy, you won't see many Sig 226s, HK USPs, or Beretta 92s at a match.
The only DA/SA gun that has any real presence in competition is the CZ Shadow 2 and it's a tuned race gun designed to have every advantage in a very specific division.
Bob
Board Founder

Post by Bob »

I like a hammer, but I'm an old man.
Strayz

Post by Strayz »

I like wheel guns. the Triggers on the 70's-80's from the factory guns of Smith and Wesson, Colt, Dan Wesson can not be beat. Yes they all have good examples and bad.

Now the CZ Shadow 2 is also one amazing firearm.
Sometimes things need to be said, Other times things must be done.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Strayz wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:32 pm I like wheel guns. the Triggers on the 70's-80's from the factory guns of Smith and Wesson, Colt, Dan Wesson can not be beat. Yes they all have good examples and bad.

Now the CZ Shadow 2 is also one amazing firearm.
Although I no longer have an revolvers, they do hold a special place for me. First 10 years of service I carried a S&W 64 .38 Special. Good gun. I wish I would have purchased one when we switched over to semi-autos.

Funny story, I was one of the lead instructors that taught the transition class for Deputies when we switched from the S&W 64 over to the Beretta 9mm. But they wouldn't let me carry a Beretta until I took the class I taught. How's that for a waste-of-time red tape moment. So I showed up to one of the last classes as a student. The lead instructor walked in and asked what I was doing there. Told him they were making me take the class. He couldn't believe it. I told him I was going to fail on purpose so that they would have to send me to remedial training which meant I'd get more shooting time, lol. I didn't of course but we had a laugh. Same thing happened when we switched from the Beretta 9mm to the Glock 21. Had to take the class I taught in order to carry the Glock. O'well, it was an easy and free day of shooting.

I like both striker and hammer fired pistols for different reasons. But right now I sure am digging the hammer fired HK's I just got.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Bringing this back up. I've really been enjoying getting back into the hammer-fired pistol. I've been carrying that HK USPc40 lately. I think next time I go to an outlaw match I'm going to be taking it to the match. The last couple of times have been with a Gen 5 Glock 19 so I'd like to see how I do with a DA/SA pistol. When I tested it out at the range a couple of weeks ago it demonstrated itself to be a tack driver so I was very happy about that.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I taught an advanced pistol class yesterday. The few DA/SA guys consistently struggled on accurate first shots. At close range it wasn't too bad, but if I put the target at 10 yards they were dropping points or missing steel. This is obviously a small sample size, but is indicative of what I see at matches. It just has too many drawbacks for zero advantage.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Ronin.45 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:21 pm I taught an advanced pistol class yesterday. The few DA/SA guys consistently struggled on accurate first shots. At close range it wasn't too bad, but if I put the target at 10 yards they were dropping points or missing steel. This is obviously a small sample size, but is indicative of what I see at matches. It just has too many drawbacks for zero advantage.
While I agree that the shooter really needs to concentrate on that first DA shot, I have to disagree with zero advantages. From a safety perspective, particularly while re-holstering, I like the tactile feel of my thumb over the hammer. Doesn't work with striker-fired pistols. Double-strike capability is an advantage. Not a huge advantage, but it's there and can be used if needed. And the long DA trigger pull is also a safety advantage in and of itself.

Ronin.45
Board Founder

Post by Ronin.45 »

I see your point about safety, but it's unnecessary if you have good habits. Keeping your finger off the trigger and paying attention should be second nature to anyone carrying a firearm. If you are running around with your finger on the trigger, a few extra pounds of resistance isn't going to keep you from an ND. As for reholstering, there is no good reason to do it fast and aggressively. Getting the gun out fast is important, but putting it away can be slow.
Restrike capabilities are a talking point, but pretty useless since the proper response to a failure is tap and rack. Odds are that hitting the same cartridge again will just give you another click. Getting a fresh one in there fast is the best solution.
I don't care what anyone chooses to shoot, and I know people like variety, but I like to be realistic about what each platform brings to the table.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

It would be interesting to see how many ND's there have been with hammer-fired pistols while re-holstering vs. striker-fired pistols. I would have to bet that striker-fired have the preponderance of ND's. Also a reason I advocate for a manual thumb safety on a pistol.