The survival fixed blade YOU would want?

A section for knives, axes, multi-tools and all things blades.
David
Administrator

Re: The survival fixed blade YOU would want?

Post by David »

I have a couple of go-to fixed blades that I've used in the field at SEP gatherings. The Gerber LMF II and the Bear Gryll's Survival knife (and the Pro version). I've been satisfied with their performance thus far.

I like that they have sharpeners integrated into the sheaths. I also like the BG in that it has an integrated ferro rod. Something missing on the Gerber.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Your choices of the Gerber knives are fine. Reasonably priced. sturdy enough in a survival situation.

I bought Gerber knives some 40 years ago, before the sale of the company and a lessening of quality for a number of years. I am sure the quality has been improved since then. However, I never went back.

When the LMF came out, I strongly considered buying the product for some time. Eventually, I decided not to buy because of the serrated portion of the blade - and it has strictly to do with me. The guy in the video said that some people thought it was too hard to sharpen the serrated portion. I can easily sharpen serrated blades. I already had dual bladed knives. I had problems using the serrated portion of a blade in my personal applications. I am cutting bad spots off fruit, cutting a sandwich in half, opening taped cardboard boxes.

I do have an application for serrated blades I am urban and will not be facing alligators/bears/building a cabin. I need to be a non threatening old gray man and this requires fully serrated knives that can slipped into a pocket.? Yes. Multiples of fully serrated Spyderco Police and Endura models.

Most of my fixed blade survival knives are plain edge. I will be having a serrated folder in my pocket.
xxo

Post by xxo »

The serrations were the only part of the blade that cut on my prodigy, thinned the plain edge down to where it would cut with a work sharp, but also took off part of the tip - not a fan of the work sharp, should have used my belt grinder.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Now Worksharp videos caution not to run the tip through the machine. Used my worksharp on two plain edge Spydercos this a.m. If I want to use the Worksharp or the belt sander, I take them out of the garage. Don't need to be inhaling metal dust
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

IMG_0490xtra.JPG
IMG_0490xtra.JPG (29.83 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
I am experimenting with "high tech". The lower knife is the shtf or survival unit that I picked for my adult son who has no knife skills. Blade is in the 5 to 5.5 inch range. Plain edge. Full tang. Breaks glass. I modified the sheath for an additional restraining strap. Ontario TFI.

The other knife is a discontinued Ontario model. Notice the sheath. If you want a sheath that is very flexible in carry positions, it would be the Spec Ops sheath. The company makes a short version and a long version. Has a plastic insert that can be warmed up and reshaped to fit a specific knife. I have one of the Ontario TFI knives in such a sheath. And, I have Glock knives in the same sheath modified for the Glock blade shape. Spec Ops has Toyota Corolla and Toyota Lexus type models - you can spend more money for more features.

Notice on the upper Ontario knife the restraining edge? The later iterations of its basic knives in modern materials is the SP models. Like the upgraded Air Force survival knife model 499 is the SP2 model. You cut off the top restraining portion with scissors or clippers and you can cut easier. I think the current price is about $40. Just sharpen to your heart's content and cut off the top. Inexpensive survival knife.
xxo

Post by xxo »

One of the few large fixed blade knives that I would consider using in the woods:

...SP5 bowie. It's ground thin enough that it actually cuts, chops OK for what it is, though it is out performed by a 12” ontario machete, also not too heavy or expensive. The rubber handle and cordura sheath are not that great but are acceptable given the price point. A 12” ontario machete with the D guard sawed off in a cut down GI plastic scabbard with a sling/baldric is better for most things if you are willing to do these simple mods yourself. The main advantage to the SP5 is that it is more less ready to go right out of the box.
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

Agreed on the SP5. Over time, I have acquired around 10 knives in the SP line. Like the Navy Seals former issue knife is in the series, the upgraded Air Force survival knife, the upgraded USMC combat knife. Generally, they are ready to go.

I showed one of the Spec Ops sheaths because most of the literature on knives skips over any accompanying sheath. Sometimes, an imaginative company like Esse will offer the knife without a sheath. This is done because the selection/construction of a sheath is usually as important as the choice of the knife. The longer, discontinued knife that was depicted in my photo came at a very reasonable price simply because the seller of the new, old stock unit had no sheath to go with it.
xxo

Post by xxo »

Not all of the spec plus knives are ready to go – most of them have edges that are way too thick. I had one of ontario's air force bolt knives with a ka-bar style handle that had a edge and blade grind too thick for a splitting axe – took it down on a belt grinder to where I could put a 40 deg. edge on it so it would cut sort of. Not much of a fan of the bolt knife in general: the blade is too short to chop with, too thick to cut with and it doesn't pry well either, with it's short blade and weak stick tang. I think the bolt knife was made mainly to look cool and fit on a flight vest. The saw on the back is supposed to work on Plexiglas and aluminum aircraft skin as an egress tool, though it is pretty useless for anything else.

I had a few other Spec plus ontarios with overly thick grinds, some with dull/poorly sharpened edges. The SP5 was the pick of the spec plus litter at the time, though I think there are a few newer next gen versions which I have never used.
Gnepig
Board Founder

Post by Gnepig »

The big knife in the middle I have carried out in the woods a lot= it is very handy, it is made by Condor for Matt Graham. A great cutter/carver/chopper= the first one I'd grab.

That Esee camp knife beside the Matt Graham knife is also very handy and gets carried a lot, it is a very fine knife with a razor sharp edge. My definite second choice.

As far as knifes go for me they are just seen as tools for every day bush work, I have no interest in seeing what's inside of a human body. So no knife combat skills here...
... Just a Dude...
justsaymo

Post by justsaymo »

The knife that actually is in my GHB is a Buck 104 Compadre. Great general purpose knife.

It would likely have a part in shelter building, fire making, cooking...