Modified Zippo Test thread

From primitive methods to advanced tools, everything you need to start a fire.
fishingjeff
Board Founder

Re: Modified Zippo Test thread

Post by fishingjeff »

As a Zippo user, I'm impressed. Just use a ranger band on mine in a Zippo holster. I usually get about 2 weeks, but I use mine to light my pipe.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

fishingjeff wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:54 pm As a Zippo user, I'm impressed. Just use a ranger band on mine in a Zippo holster. I usually get about 2 weeks, but I use mine to light my pipe.
I'm pretty impressed with this inexpensive little mod all the way around. Surprised Zippo didn't come up with the idea or at least market an 'official' version.

Day 46: Lit on the first strike.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
GT4494

Post by GT4494 »

Good testing on the zippo. I remember Dad having to refill about every week or two but he did use it a lot and never worried about a no spark unless the flint was used up.

But I have a question. I converted my zippos with a butane insert. I never have to worry about fuel loss no matter how long they sit and I just throw a butane cylinder in my bag. Has anyone else done this?
David
Administrator

Post by David »

GT4494 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:34 pm Good testing on the zippo. I remember Dad having to refill about every week or two but he did use it a lot and never worried about a no spark unless the flint was used up.

But I have a question. I converted my zippos with a butane insert. I never have to worry about fuel loss no matter how long they sit and I just throw a butane cylinder in my bag. Has anyone else done this?
I've thought about this but one of the things I like about the regular Zippo is the variety of fuels it can use in an emergency situation. Of course there is lighter fluid but also Naptha (lighter fluid in bigger volume containers), mineral oils, denatured alcohol, gasoline, kerosine, lamp oil etc. The inserts are butane and that's it as far as I know.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 50: Lit on the first strike.

bdc
Board Founder

Post by bdc »

thank you.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 57: Lit on the first strike.

syntaxerrorsix

Post by syntaxerrorsix »

I just picked up a 6 pack of gaskets. Good find.
Sappers Forward
841st Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 81ARCOM, 84th Eng (Cbt/Hvy) 2ACR, 40th Eng (Mech) 1AD, 588th Eng (Mech) 4ID

KM4HAG - HA
WQUZ848 - ZA
David
Administrator

Post by David »

syntaxerrorsix wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:05 pm I just picked up a 6 pack of gaskets. Good find.
Thanks, I've been really impressed with this little item. And it's an inexpensive little mod that takes a minute to do. I'm curious how far It'll go :D

David
Administrator

Post by David »

Day 62: Lit on the first strike. Well, it's now over the two month mark and still going!