Belt/pocket clips

The area to discuss BOB's, EDC's, GHB's and other gear. Also includes Comms and other radio topics.
Mac66
Board Founder

Belt/pocket clips

Post by Mac66 »

I very rarely carry a pistol in a holster. My typical EDC is pocket carry or with the pistol stuck IWB/belt. I've been carrying that way for over 45 years and never had a problem.

When at all possible I add a belt clip to the pistol to keep if from sliding down into my pants. I had one on my Keltec P11 which I carried for years. I put one on my LC9, Keltec P32, LCP , LC9s Pro and XD9. Recently I lent my Ruger LC9 to my brother who had just gotten his concealed pistol license. The LC9 had a "Clipdraw" clip attached to it which he really liked. When I found him his own LC9s he ordered a Clipdraw for it. Clipdraws typically go for $35/each. I bought a 3 or 4 universal ones on clearance from a website for $8/ea a couple years ago which is the only way I could afford to have one for all the pistols I have them on.

There is also a clip called the "Techno Clip" which is pretty much the same thing as the Clipdraw and costs the same.

When I'm up at my property I typically will slide a full size pistol IWB, usually a 45 auto in case I run into one of the bears. So when my brother said he bought a Clipdraw I started looking at them again. I thought there had to be a cheaper way to add a belt clip. Metal clips after all cost only a few bucks. Realistically the whole belt clip thing for pistols should only cost about $10

So I started looking for metal clips thin enough to attach to a pistol. The Clipdraws and Technoclips come with extra 3m tape strips by which they attach so I had/have plenty of extras.

I found what I was looking for at theclip.com. A thin metal clip for $2.41 ea. I bought 5 of them to try out.

https://www.theclip.com/store/Metal-Bel ... -clip.html

My intent was to put one on my Ruger P97 which is what I usually carry up in the woods. In addition I intended to make leather mag pouches for my LC9s, LCP, XD9 and P97 to pocket clip a mag in my weak side pants pocket. I also wanted a clip for my Leatherman multitool. I used to have LM with a pocket clip on it but misplaced is somewhere.

So the first try as taping he clip to the multitool failed because the clip has a arch in the middle which didn't contact the tape enough to get it to adhere. They second try worked much better when I clamped the whole thing in a vice overnight. I've been carrying it clipped to my pocket for 5 days and it's held on so far.

I then made a mag holder out of piece of scrap leather. Simply folded it over and glued, riveted it. Kind of crude looking but the first one is proof of concept, I'll be refining the design as I make mag holders for all my carry guns. Been carrying it it around for 4 or 5 days now. It works well. I like having the mag and the Leatherman clipped to my pocket.

BTW, I usually also have a sipic 68 flashlight clipped to my pocket for EDC.
David
Administrator

Re: Belt/pocket clips

Post by David »

The DIY find was genius. Hopefully it will workout long term with the adhesive. I don't know if I'd ever be comfortable not having the trigger covered, old habits and all, but I'm glad it has worked out so well for you. And I agree that it would be a lot easier than trying to find a holster. When doing it IWB do you find the pistol gets any dirtier with sweat and/or corrosion? I'd wonder if oil/grease from the pistol would get on my clothing/skin.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Yeah the guns carried IWB do get a little grungy. I clean/wipe them down about once a week. The newer finishes on guns do well at preventing rust without keeping the outside oiled.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

In retrospect I probably just should of made a clip on pouch for the Leatherman instead of attaching the clip directly to the tool. I will probably be making mag pouches for my guns this weekend. Sewing is leather is time consuming so will probably just glue and rivet them for now.

And not really a new idea. Here's a mini mag holder I made from the clip off a IWB holster probably over 20 years ago. That was before flashlights had pocket clips on them.

Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

First attempt at clipping the P97 failed. There is a slight bow on the metal clips which prevents the 2 sided tape from adhering fully to the clip. Going to have to tweak it some. I was able so take most of the bend out of the Leatherman clip so it sticks. Going to have to work on the p97 clip. It uses spring steel so unbending/straightening out the clip is an exercise in frustration.

Very comfortable to carry. Once you get use to it you forget you're carrying. It worked well for about a day, then it didn't. I carried it all day, clip came off when I removed the pistol from my pants at the end of the day.

I did however hack together a clip on mag pouch for the P97. Photos later.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I redid the P97 clip and have been wearing it in and out of the house for the past 2 days including riding in cars/trucks. So far it's held together. I carry IWB at 4:00

And my EDC, Sipik 68, Leatherman and P97 mag/pouch

And I just ordered 10 more clips for future use.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

I know that I like the key chain pocket clip on my survival key chain quite well and consider it an extremely useful, and inexpensive tweak. So I can see where you are really liking these clips.

It's kind of amazing how well the tape holds up. I had something similar on my shotguns with the shell holders on the side. Industrial strength adhesive on the hook-n-loop. Strong stuff that's just not going to fall off.

I would imagine that carrying a pistol IWB would actually help press against the area of the clip that has tape backing, holding it in place.
A man cannot call himself peaceful if he is not capable of violence. If he's not capable of violence he isn't peaceful, he is harmless. There is a distinct difference.

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot weather this storm". The warrior replies, "I am the storm".
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

I riveted and used a crossstrap on the leather mag pouches to keep the clip on. Not sure the tape will hold on leather.
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

Production of pocket mag pouches has commenced.

X-First step was buy some more leather
X-Measure and cut out pattern
X-Cut out and wet leather to mold it to the mags.
X-Clamp it together and let it dry
-Trim, edge and stain the leather.
-Add clip
-Sew, glue and or/rivet the edges together.

First batch will include two LC9 pouches, one for me, one for my brother. One P97, one XD9 and one XD45 pouch in case I want to carry a full size pistol. Eventually I will also make a LCP pouch, Glock 22 mag pouch, then a pouch for my Leatherman
Mac66
Board Founder

Post by Mac66 »

First two (LC9) are done...

Last edited by Mac66 on Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.